Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Year in Review


Dear Friends and Family,

Greetings from Hopkinton, MA! We hope this email finds you well andhappy. Reflecting on the year it feels like another year that haszoomed on by, but it has been a good one for us. We are all happy,healthy and doing well.

In reflecting, I would say the past year has been centered aroundsettling ourselves and Monique in Massachusetts. In an effort to keepactive and meet people, Dave started playing basketball and volleyballand I have joined a Mom's group called Mother's and More. Since Iwork from home everyday, I needed some outlet for getting me out ofthe house on a regular basis. :-)
Both Dave and I still work for CA (Computer Associates). Like Imentioned, I am still full-time work from home but with occasionaltravel. I normally head to Islandia, NY every month and ½ or so for acouple of days. It keeps me sane :-)

Dave's brother from Utah came to Vermont to visit in August for Dave'sparent's 50th wedding anniversary and to do an adventure race withDave and their nephew. They did a 12 hour race and they did reallywell in the race. They did so well that Dave is actually consideringdoing another one next year. You can check out the details of therace on our website.

So now on to what everyone cares about … Monique :-) As I am sureyou can imagine Monique is getting so big. Everyone keeps telling usthat she's 'tall' for her age. I just can't believe she'll be 4 inMarch. She is growing so quickly! She is doing great and we are ahaving a lot of fun with her.

When we moved here we put Monique in daycare but after a few months weswitched to having our neighbor baby-sit. Our neighbor, Laura, is astay at home mom with two boys, Jeremy (5) and Joseph (7) that Moniqueabsolutely adores. The switch was a good one for her, and us.Daycare was a bit exhausting and over-stimulating for Monique and shewas often cranky and worn out in the evenings after getting home. Nowshe is much happier and energetic in general (I can't say that Daveand I always are though … ).

Next year we are planning on putting her in preschool. Mostly likelyit will only be part-time and she'll hopefully continue going toLaura's. Monique goes everyday with Laura to the bus stop so now shekeeps saying 'when I am 5, I get to go on the school bus'. She isreally looking forward to it and I just want to say … 'stop rushing itand stop growing up so quickly!'.

She is still very social and outgoing. When we are out, she's alwayssmiling at people and introducing herself and telling them all aboutherself. We have started the 'stranger' talks with her though,explaining that it's only ok to talk with strangers when Mommy andDaddy are with her because she is so trusting and outgoing and willingto talk to anybody and everybody anytime.

She is also at the very inquisitive stage now where she is asking us'why' ALL the time. When we sit down and watch a video with her, wespend half the time answering her questions about what is going on inthe video.

Monique is in dance class every Saturday morning. She loves it andhas fun in the class, but some mornings it's a struggle to get herthere. We have taken to the tradition of getting a muffin after classat the coffee shop that is in the same building as dance class and I'mnot positive anymore if she goes to dance class for dance class ormore for the cinnamon swirl muffin we get after class….

We are starting a new tradition this year and we are going to stay athome for Christmas. I am really looking forward to experiencingChristmas through her eyes. We are going to take Monique to aChristmas sing along at the Boston Symphony Orchestra on Christmas Eveand then we plan on baking cookies to leave for Santa. The Fridayafter Christmas we are driving to Vermont to visit our friends andDave's family.

Monique came home one day from Laura's and told us that she wanted 3kites, a ball, and a movie for Christmas. I'm not positive why shewants '3' kites.... She recently added a computer and a fish to herChristmas wish list.

We didn't do too much travel this year other than LOTS of trips backto Vermont. We also went to Pittsburgh to visit my family in thesummer and then again over Thanksgiving. We also took an extendedweekend and the 3 of us went to New Hampshire and we took Monique toStory Land. We had a great time and we all needed the downtime!

In between our trips, we had LOTS of visitors this year, which wasgreat. My mom has visited several times and my aunt and cousin camewith her for one of the visits. My sister came to visit. My cousinGary, his wife and their son Connor came for a visit. My friendStacey from Texas came in May. My friend Justin, also from Texas,came in October. Our friends the Yagers and the Christiansens, bothfrom Vermont, each came to visit us several times. Misty and herfamily came down for a weekend in September. Dave's parents came tovisit too. We have really enjoyed all the visits as it keeps us fromfeeling too homesick.

We hope you have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!

Love,
Amy, David and Monique